Legal Ethics, Professionalism and Substance Abuse for the Ohio Practitioner
Uphold the Highest Standards of the Legal Profession With Skillful Application of Ethics Requirements
Every year, more and more attorneys are facing disciplinary action and litigation for alleged professional or ethical negligence. In a litigious society, no one is immune. Knowing what is required and how to identify problems before they happen is vital. This intensive study will provide you with proactive strategies for spotting and avoiding potential areas of liability. Let our expert speakers answer your most pressing ethical questions. Find out how simple changes to your routine can make ethical legal practices second nature - enroll today!
- Gain a refresher on how the rules of professional conduct apply to your everyday practice.
- Find out what needs to be done to make certain you're authorized to practice law in other states.
- Project the right image and stay in compliance with an ethical approach to advertising your services.
- Sharing an office with another attorney? Gain practical tips for making your co-existence harmonious and compliant.
- Detect and address addiction, and help a colleague or yourself to turn back to a fulfilling career in the law.
- Know where to look for additional resources to help attorneys struggling with addiction.
- Implement practices to avoid being accused of malpractice.
- Clarify the current standards of professionalism with a complete review of legal practitioner's obligations to the parties involved in the legal process.
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level program will present attorneys with common ethical dilemmas and offer simple solutions.
Agenda / Content Covered:
PREVENTING LEGAL MALPRACTICE IN EVERYDAY PRACTICE
8:45 - 10:15
- When and How to Legally Decline Representation
- Interstate Practice of Law
- Partnering With Colleagues and Case Referral
- Ethical Advertising and the Pitfalls in Online Marketing
- Assisting a Pro Se Litigant
- Unauthorized Practice of Law - What to do When You're in Way Over Your Head
- Hidden Dangers of Office Sharing Arrangements
10:30 - 11:30, William B. Strubbe
- Origin of the Ohio Professionalism Requirement
- The Ohio Requirement
- The Lawyer's Creed and Aspirational Ideals
- Professional Relations with Clients
- Professional Relations with The Court
- Professional Relations with Opposing Counsel
11:30 - 12:00, Lisa Igo
- Alcoholism in the Legal Profession
- Spotting Signs and Symptoms of Substance Abuse
- What Do We Mean When We Say It's a Disease?
- Costs of Doing Nothing
- Promoting Recovery
Continuing Education Credits:
Continuing Legal Education – CLE: 3.00*
* denotes specialty credits
For additional information and to register, please click here.
812 Race Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202