The Art of the Settlement
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar will give attorneys and paralegals tips, techniques and strategies to build their settlement skills.
Achieve A Favorable Outcome With Savvy Settlement Techniques
It's a simple fact that the majority of civil cases don't make it to court. That means it's up to you to make sure you can negotiate the best possible resolution for your clients – and help them avoid the added time and expense of a trial. This practical program provides you with the opportunity to develop your skills and master the subtle art of obtaining advantageous settlements for your clients.
Our seasoned faculty will help you navigate the settlement process by combining case studies, hypotheticals and mock negotiations to help you build your skills so you can be a better negotiator. After attending, you'll be able to confidently decide on your case strategy, understand the steps involved in the settlement process, confidently handle settlement conferences, increase your chances for a substantial settlement award, and knowledgably use mediation when settlements don't work. Take this opportunity to expand and refine your settlement and negotiation skills – enroll today!
- Build your skills through an innovative combination of lecture, case studies, hypotheticals and mock negotiations.
- Obtain the best possible resolution for your client by learning how to effectively negotiate the settlement.
- Gain sophisticated techniques that will ensure you're at your peak for negotiating your next case.
- Understand why it's important to be creative and flexible during the settlement process – and learn specific techniques to use during the process.
- Become more successful during settlement conferences with superior problem-solving strategies and methods for evaluating the settlement offers.
- Identify how mediation can be effective for resolving your case.
- DETERMINING A SETTLEMENT STRATEGY EARLY ON
9:00 - 9:30
- Evaluating the Client's Goals
- Developing a Framework for Settlement Negotiations
- Determining the Strength of the Case for a Trial
- Litigating vs. Settling
- Costs vs. Benefits
- THE SETTLEMENT PROCESS
9:30 - 10:30
- Opening Communication
- Keeping a Broad Viewpoint
- Knowing the Case, the Risks and Your Opponent
- Being Creative and Flexible
- Making Offers and Counteroffers
- Effective Negotiation Techniques
- Common Negotiating Mistakes
- What Happens at Settlement Conferences
- HOW TO SUCCEED AT SETTLEMENT CONFERENCES
10:45 - 12:00
- Maintaining Open Communication and Establishing a Compromise
- Solving Problems and Unfair Settlement Practices
- Evaluating Settlement Offers
- Documenting the Settlement
- Releases and Covenants
- TECHNIQUES FOR WINNING STRONG SETTLEMENT AWARDS
1:00 - 1:45
- Supporting Documentation for a Settlement Award
- Presenting Award Scenarios for Comparison
- Using Dramatic Graphs
- Proposing Settlement Amounts Incrementally
- Asking for the Highest Reasonable Award
- MOCK SETTLEMENT NEGOTIATION
1:45 - 2:30
- ETHICAL CONSIDERATIONS
2:45 - 3:45
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest
- USING MEDIATION WHEN SETTLEMENTS DON'T WORK
3:45 - 4:30
- When to Consider Mediation
- Effective Mediation Preparation
- Stages in the Mediation Process
- Bringing the Mediation Process to a Successful Conclusion
Holiday Inn Airport South
2715 Fern Valley Road