Main Menu
Tax LAW InsightsPDF

Department Promulgates Emergency Regulation Regarding New Motor Vehicle Credit Cap


The Kentucky Department of Revenue (“Department”) recently proposed Administrative Regulation, 103 KAR 44:130 (“Regulation”), establishing a method for new vehicle dealers and county clerks to determine the balance of the new motor vehicle credit cap provided by KRS 138.4602.

KRS 138.4602 temporarily provides for a trade-in allowance for the Motor Vehicle Usage Tax calculation for new vehicle purchases.  The trade-in allowance has been available on a first-come, first-served basis since September 1, 2009 and ends on August 31, 2010 or before, if the total amount of “trade-in credits” reduces the Motor Vehicle Usage Tax by the $25,000,000 maximum amount authorized.

Under this provision, a new motor vehicle’s retail price is determined by reducing the amount of the total consideration given by the allowance for any trade-in.  The value of the purchased motor vehicle offered for registration and the value of the trade-in must be attested to in a notarized affidavit; however, the retail price cannot be less than fifty percent (50%) of the difference between the applicable values of the purchased motor vehicle and the trade-in.  If a notarized affidavit is not available, the retail price is ninety-percent (90%) of the manufacturer’s retail price of the vehicle or in the case of a new truck with a gross weight in excess of ten thousand pounds, eighty-one percent (81%) of the manufacturer’s retail price.

103 KAR 44:130 states that the Department will track the amount of the trade-in credits used and post the amount on its motor vehicle usage tax website,  The accumulated total is to be updated on each business day and once the $25,000,000 credit cap is reached, the Regulation requires the Department to notify taxpayers on its website.

The Department simultaneously promulgated 103 KAR 44:130 as an Emergency Regulation, 103 KAR 44:130E, which is effective immediately.

If you have questions about this topic or any other legal issue, please contact any member of the firm's State and Local Tax Team.

Back to Page