Bingham McHale Named Pro Bono Firm of the Year by the Indianapolis Bar Association
Bingham McHale LLP today received the Pro Bono Firm of the Year award, presented by the Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) at its annual recognition luncheon. Bingham McHale LLP partner Phillip Fowler received the Pro Bono Attorney of the Year award.
“Bingham McHale LLP has a longstanding history of giving back to our communities, and pro bono work is a large part of that history,” said W. Tobin McClamroch, Managing Partner of the firm. “We are especially proud of Phil for using his knowledge and experience to represent those who are less fortunate. He exemplifies the professionalism and commitment to the law that all of the attorneys share at Bingham McHale LLP.”
Bingham McHale LLP attorneys participated in several IBA pro bono programs in 2010, including two “Ask a Lawyer” events, the bankruptcy help line, the hospice program, the juvenile court GAL project, the legal line, the low asset will program and the mortgage foreclosure assistance program.
Fowler was honored for representing the plaintiff in Hendrickson v. Sgt. S. Cooper and the plaintiff in Taylor v. Officer Stewart. In Cooper, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the lower court’s ruling for the plaintiff, and noted that Fowler and the law firm of Bingham McHale LLP “very ably represented Hendrickson” at trial, and “thereby upholding the longstanding and greatly appreciated tradition of volunteering to represent the indigent.” Fowler was assisted by Bingham McHale LLP attorneys Ken Munson and Margaret Christensen in the representation of Cooper, and is currently being assisted by Christensen and Briana Kovac in the representation of Taylor.
In addition to the pro bono services provided through IBA, as well as services to individuals, Bingham McHale LLP has provided pro bono services to the following organizations in 2010:
- Child Advocates
- Dubois County Community Foundation
- Dubois County Recovery Foundation
- Flanner House of Indianapolis, Inc.
- Geist Half Marathon, Inc.
- Hearts & Hands of Indiana Corporation
- INpact Inc.
- Jasper Boys Basketball Booster Club
- Jasper Cycling Club
- Marian University
- Marion County Superior Court
- Media Foundation of West Africa
- Morgan County Recreational Alliance Inc.
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
- Patrick H. Sullivan Foundation
- Prevail, Inc.
- Queen of Angels, Inc.
- Redevelop Old Jasper Action Coalition
- St. Joseph’s Holy Family, Inc.
- Strings, Inc.
- Teachers’ Treasures Inc.
- Trusted Mentors, Inc.
Over the years, Bingham McHale LLP has provided pro bono services to the following organizations, in addition to IBA service:
- Adopt-A-Neighborhood Program (Heartland Pro Bono Council)
- Appeals Cases (U.S Circuit Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit)
- Civil Legal Assistance Panel (Federal District Court)
- Indianapolis Housing Agency
- Juvenile Court Program
- Marion County Modest Means/Pro Bono Mediation for low income families
Bingham McHale LLP, is a multidisciplinary business law firm serving regional, national and international clients, with offices in Indianapolis, Jasper and Vincennes, Ind. Bingham McHale LLP attorneys were ranked first tier in Indianapolis in nine categories by The Best Lawyers in America 2010.