IDEM Releases New Remediation Program Guide for Public Comment
On October 4, 2011, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (“IDEM”) released for public comment the draft Remediation Program Guide (“RPG”) that is the partner document to the draft Remediation Closure Guide (“RCG”) released for public comment in May 2011. A copy of the draft RPG (Non-Rule Policy Document Number WASTE-0600-NPD) is available at http://www.in.gov/idem/6726.htm. The draft RPG provides information regarding how IDEM intends to administer the investigation, remedy selection, and closure of contaminated sites pursuant to the RCG for sites managed under Indiana’s remediation programs including the Indiana Brownfields Program, the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Program (including the Excess Liability trust Fund), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Closure and Corrective Action Program, the Site Investigations Program, the Superfund Program, the Defense Environmental Restoration Program, the State Cleanup Program, and the Voluntary Remediation Program.
The RPG is intended to provide clear direction regarding the background and administrative processes for each remediation program and serves as a supplement to the RCG. Once finalized, the RPG will supersede the current Risk Integrated System of Closure (“RISC”) User’s Guide (Non-rule Policy Document Number Waste-0046). According to IDEM, the draft RPG was developed to provide the following information regarding administration of contaminated site investigations and closures conducted pursuant to the RCG:
- How a site may enter a remediation program and how a site may transition from RISC or other existing closure guidance to the RCG;
- Communication between IDEM and a party responsible for the investigation and closure of a contaminated site;
- Documents and forms to be developed, used, or referred to during the investigation and/or remediation of a contaminated site;
- Public participation;
- Clarification of remedial program-specific terminology;
- Laws, regulations, guidance, and nonrule policies that are relevant to, or provide the basis for, each remedial program;
- The process through which a contaminated site may be closed; and
- Limited, program-specific, technical information.
IDEM is currently receiving public comments regarding the draft RPG until November 18, 2011. Once the comment period is closed, IDEM intends to present the draft RPG to the Indiana Solid Waste Management Board on December 13, 2011 for approval as a non-rule policy document.
Interested parties can submit comments regarding the draft RPG by mail to Patricia Likins, Indiana Department of Environmental Management, Office of Land Quality, 100 North Senate Avenue, Room 1101, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204 or by email to plikins@idem.IN.gov.