Brad is a partner in the firm’s Tax and Employee Benefits department. He represents clients across Indiana in matters related to real and personal property taxation, including assessment appeals, requests for tax exemption, defending audits, and defending tax sale proceedings. Brad is part of the firm’s tax litigation team which has one of the largest collections of state and local tax litigation partners in the region.
Representing a variety of industries in litigation in state and federal court, Brad has litigated disputes involving business and contract issues, real estate transactions and land use, defamation, and judgment collection. His administrative litigation experience allows him to assist clients across multiple industries. He has appeared before the Indiana Board of Tax Review, Indiana Natural Resources Commission, and the Surface Transportation Board on behalf of his clients.
Brad earned his J.D. from California Western School of Law. He earned his undergraduate degree from DePauw University in economics. Brad received admission to the Indiana Bar in 2000 and the California Bar in 2002.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Extensive experience in representing individuals, businesses and utility companies in real and personal property tax appeals before local governments statewide, the Indiana Board of Tax Review, the Indiana Tax Court and the Indiana Supreme Court.
- Represented national alcoholic beverage company in contract dispute in federal court and in preliminary injunction lawsuit in state court.
- Represented major car manufacturer in defending claim of malicious prosecution in federal court.
- Represented a top national accounting firm in defending claim of professional negligence in arbitration and in state court.
- Assist clients in strategies for reducing personal property tax liability in Indiana and several other states.
- Litigation of issues involving title to real estate.
- Litigation of issues concerning use and enjoyment of waterfront property in state court and in administrative agencies.
- Allen County Assessor v. Verizon Data Services, Cause No. 49T10-1408-TA-00053, Indiana Tax Court (October 30, 2015)
- Washington County Township Asssessor, Allen County Assessor, and Allen County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals v. Verizon Data Services, Cause No. 49T10-1102-TA-00013, Indiana Tax Court (October 30, 2015)
- Tube City IMS, LLC v. Lake County Assessor, Petition No. 45-001-10-1-7-00001, Indiana Board of Tax Review (June 28, 2012)
- Lake County Assessor v. Amoco Sulfur Recovery Corp., 930 N.E. 2d 1248 (Ind. Tax Ct. 2010)
- Verizon Data Services Inc. v. Washington Township Assessor, Petition No. 02-073-05-1-7-00118, Indiana Board of Tax Review (December 6, 2010)
- Avon Real Estate LLC v. Hendricks County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals, Petition No. 32-022-07-2-8-00001, Indiana Board of Tax Review (January 6, 2009)
- Brenwick TND Communities, LLC v. Clay Township Assessor, Petition No. 29-003-03-1-5-0060, Indiana Board of Tax Review (May 15, 2006)
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- California State Bar Association
- Member, Association of Transportation Law Professionals
- Honors Intern, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Summer 1998
Tax Law Insights
- Delaware Nonresident Trust Seeks SCOTUS Due Process Review of Ohio Income Tax Imposed on the Trust’s Capital Gains: Was It Proper to Apply General Jurisdiction Due Process Rules to a Non-Resident Rather Than Specific Jurisdiction Rule07.31.2017
- Kentucky Property Tax Applies to Individual Residents’ Units of Retirement Community Owned by Public Charity03.15.2017
- Kentucky: Property Leased to Non-Residents Qualified for Warehouse/Distribution Center Exemption to Tangible Personal Property Tax11.04.2016
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis08.10.2018
420 W. Market St.
San Antonio, TX 7820401.13.2016
Hyatt Regency Downtown
One South Capitol Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 4620412.03.2015
JW Marriott Indianapolis
10 South West Street
Indianapolis, IN 4620408.13.2015
- "Hot SALT Issues," Tax Summit:Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Indiana Chamber, Indianapolis, IN, April 24, 2018
DePauw University, B.A., Economics, summa cum laude, 1997
California Western School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2000