Brad Maurer is a member of the firm’s Business Services Department with a focus on securing and protecting intellectual property rights (IPR). Brad has significant experience assisting clients in identifying, prioritizing and implementing IPR strategies intended to provide strong value consistent with and cognizant of the overall objectives, resources and dynamic environment of each client.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Representation of companies from a broad range of fields, including fashion apparel, clothing, non-profit, higher education, furniture, consumer electronics, residential and industrial equipment, commercial artwork, as well as foreign based companies, before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the World Intellectual Property Organization to secure and maintain domestic and international trademark registrations and portfolios under United States law and the Madrid International Trademark System.
- Representation of companies in connection with anti-counterfeiting, unfair competition, advertising, defamation, rights of publicity, and related issues in the context of social media and electronic commerce platforms in the United States and internationally.
- Representation of companies working in conjunction with customs agencies and foreign counsel to combat counterfeiting activity in the United States, China, Japan, the United Arab Emirates, and elsewhere.
- Representation of companies issuing and responding to demands relating to trademark infringement, copyright infringement, unfair competition, false advertising, and rights of publicity and privacy.
- Representation of companies in selecting, searching and using trademarks, service marks, collective membership marks, and certification marks, and providing training to company personnel related to the creation and use of content consistent with IPR.
- Representation of companies before the World Intellectual Property Organization seeking transfer of Internet domain names under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
- Representation of companies in acquisition, merger and transfer due diligence related to trademarks, copyrights, domain names and associated IPR investigations.
- Representation of companies in IPR licensing transactions related to trademarks, copyrights and rights of publicity.
- Representation of companies before state and federal courts in litigation related to trademarks, unfair competition, false advertising, copyrights, rights of publicity, Anti-SLAPP, and insurance coverage.
- Felsher v. University of Evansville, 755 N.E.2d 589 (Ind. 2001) – counsel for amici curiae media interests involving claims for misappropriation, unfair competition, invasion of privacy and tortious interference.
- Fidelity and Guaranty Insurance Company v. Kocolene Marketing Corp., 2002 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8518 (S.D. Ind. 2002) – counsel for insured in declaratory judgment action seeking defense under intellectual property coverage for "advertising injury”.
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® in the field of Intellectual Property, 2015-2019
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law-Center for Intellectual Property Research
- Adjunct Professor of Law (2014-Present)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Chair, Intellectual Property Section (2012-2013)
- International Trademark Association
- National Athletic Trainers' Association — Certified Athletic Trainer (1996-1999)
- Faegre Baker Daniels LLP, 2005-2016
- Bingham McHale LLP, 1999-2005
Contributions & Published Works
- "No owning history - the First Amendment and creative freedom" By Brad R. Maurer. The Indiana Lawyer, April 18, 2018
- "Voices From the Industry, Protecting Architectural Works," By Brad R. Maurer, Indianapolis Business Journal, March 27, 2006
- "Survey of Indiana Employment Privacy Law," Co-author, Media Law Resource Center 50-State Survey, Employment Libel and Privacy Law, 2002-2005
- "Survey of Indiana Privacy and Related Claims Against the Media," Co-author, Media Law Resource Center 50-State Survey, Media Privacy and Related Law, 2001-2005
- “Trademark Due Diligence and Trademark Transactions,” International Trademark Association, Presenter, Indianapolis, Indiana, April 13, 2018
Purdue University, B.A. in Sports Medicine, with honors (1996)
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., cum laude (1999)
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana