With national, broad-based experience in a variety of industries, Dan focuses his practice on complex business and financial transactions including middle-market mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, debt financing strategies, commercial and real estate lending and secured transactions representing both borrowers and lenders, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Dan works closely with his clients, many of which are in the health care and health insurance industries, including managed care and commercial health insurance companies, assisted and retirement living companies, home health agencies, hospitals, physician groups and other providers of health care services, and accountable care organizations.
Dan represents large, national companies (public and private), as well as small, closely-held businesses. His practice also crosses over into the representation of manufacturers, franchise systems, restaurants and energy and natural resource companies.
Dan serves on the board of directors of the Health Enterprises Network (a Greater Louisville Inc. affiliate), and is also a 2005 graduate of its Louisville Health Care Fellows program, which provides an educational experience for rising health-related executives.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Represented regional, nonprofit hospital system in its business combination with another regional, nonprofit health system, which resulted in the formation of the largest provider of hospital and other health care services in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- Representation of a national health insurance company in its mergers and acquisitions, including acquisitions of managed care companies, commercial health insurers, Medicare Advantage organizations, Medicare Part D organizations, insurers of supplemental plans and products (including vision, dental and behavioral health products) and wellness organizations.
- Served as counsel in two of the largest health care mergers and acquisitions in 2008, as listed by Modern Healthcare. Source: Irving Levin Associates. Published January 19, 2009.
- Representation of assisted living and post-acute care providers in various financings (including substantial involvement in multi-family financings and supplemental financings with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Department of Housing and Urban Development), mergers and acquisitions, and licensure and operational issues.
- Representation of physician groups and other health care providers in implementation of integration and structural strategies (including establishment of accountable care organizations), physician practice acquisitions, physician recruitment and employment, joint ventures, third party payer and government contractual matters, certificate of need, licensure and regulatory compliance.
- Advise manufacturers in corporate governance, commercial transactions, finance, and mergers and acquisitions. Recently advised manufacturer in the sale of stock to an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), development of retention incentives for key-employees, and implementation of a buy-sell agreement and voting trust agreement among remaining shareholders.
- Represent coal and other natural resource companies in mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented regional public utility in its acquisition of electric generation plants and related assets from a debtor in possession in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Frequently represent multiple-store franchisees and restaurant systems in mergers and acquisition activities, franchising, contractual and operational matters.
- The Best Lawyers in America® Louisville Mergers and Acquisitions Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2017
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Corporate/M&A, 2008-2009, 2011-2012, and 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2007-2019; Corporate Law, 2014-2019; Health Care Law, 2014-2019
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers® in the fields of Mergers & Acquisitions and Health Care, 2012-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Business First of Louisville Health Care Partner Honoree, 2008 – 2012
- Alumnus, Louisville Healthcare Fellows, an educational experience for rising health-related executives sponsored by the Greater Louisville Health Enterprises Network (a Greater Louisville Inc. affiliate), 2005 inaugural class
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Business and Health Law Sections
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association for Corporate Growth, Kentucky Chapter
- Fultz Maddox Hovious & Dickens PLC, Member, 2010 – 2012
- Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC, Member, 1986 – 2010
- Internal Revenue Service Office of District Counsel, Intern, 1986
- Health Enterprises Network (a Greater Louisville Inc. affiliate), Member, Board of Directors, 2008 – present
- 2005 Inaugural Class of The Healthcare Fellows
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Cedar Lake Foundation, Inc., Director, 2013 – present
- The Council on Developmental Disabilities, Inc., President of the Board of Trustees, 2002 – 2004; Trustee, 2001 – 2008
- Anchorage Presbyterian Church, Former Session Member
- Highland Presbyterian Church, Former Session Member
Contributions & Published Works
- "Physician and Private Equity Partnership: Goal is to Create Larger, More Robust Platform for Delivery of Care," Medical News, June 2018
- “Tired of the Tax Time Shakedown,” Louisville Bar Association Bar Briefs, September 1988
- Physician and Private Equity Partnership: Goal is to Create Larger, More Robust Platform for Delivery of Care07.12.2018
- Eleven Bingham Greenebaum Doll Attorneys Named 2018 "Lawyers of the Year" in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2017
- Chambers USA 2017, 06.08.2017
- Eight BGD Attorneys Named 2017 “Lawyers of the Year” in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2016
- Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP to Share Key Legal Changes That Could Impact Kentucky Businesses This Year04.06.2015
- New BGD Magazine Examines How the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is Affecting Businesses and Health Care Providers, Maximizing Your 401(k) and More02.18.2015
- Attorney Daniel Fisher Discusses the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and its effect on Businesses and Healthcare Providers at Healthcare Roundtable10.09.2014
Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP Louisville Office
South Fifth Street
3500 National City Tower 101
Louisville, KY 4020204.27.2015
- “Recent Trends/Developments with Law of Fiduciary Duty in Kentucky,” Louisville Bar Association, June 2012
- “Significant Legal Developments for In-House and Corporate Counsel,” Louisville Bar Association, March 2005
- “Shareholders, Directors and Officers,” “Statutory Law” and “Business Tort and Product Liability” Updates, Corporate Law Update of Greenebaum Doll & McDonald PLLC, February 2003
- “Significant Legal Developments for In-House and Corporate Counsel,” Louisville Bar Association, March 2000
- “Selecting the Proper Form of Business Organization,” Louisville Bar Association Tax Section Seminar, June 1988
Wittenberg University, B.A., Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting; Minor in Political Science, 1983
University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1986
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 1986
United States Tax Court, 1986