David R. Joest has worked the past several years with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management as Assistant Commissioner. At IDEM he served as general counsel and headed the Offices of Legal Counsel and Criminal Investigations.
During the years he spent as legal counsel with Peabody Energy, Mr. Joest represented coal mining operations in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia in regulatory, land, coal sales, and general legal matters. At DTE Energy, Mr. Joest was key in the acquisition of a coal mine methane production and processing project in southern Illinois. He also completed acquisition of multiple landfill gas to energy projects in Virginia and North Carolina, and of a coal loading facility in Chicago, Illinois.
- Honorary General Counsel, Indiana Coal Council
- Note and Development Editor, Indiana Law Review, 1975-1976
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Evansville Bar Association
- Law Clerk to Justice Roger O. DeBruler, Indiana Supreme Court, 1976-1978
- Associate, Bowers, Harrison and Kent, Evansville, Indiana, 1978-1982
- Energy & Mineral Legal Foundation Trustee
- Indiana Coal Council Chairman
- Illinois Coal Association Member
- Kentucky Coal Association Member