David W. Tandy serves as Of Counsel in the Louisville office of Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP where he practices with the firm’s Diversified Business Solutions Team and is a member of the Economic Development Department. Whether it is for the individuals, families, for-profits, non-profits, or governmental entities of all sizes that he represents, David’s passion as an attorney is to see his clients succeed and grow. While David and his law partners at BGD can assist clients in many different ways, he focuses his legal practice in the areas of business development and outside general counsel representation, public finance and government relations work.
Civically, David served his community as the Seventh and Tenth President of the Louisville Metro Council. Recognized by his peers as a leader who strives to bring people of differing views together for the common good of the community, David was twice elected unanimously by his colleagues to the top leadership post for the Metro Council in 2009 and 2015.
During his more than 11 year career in local government, David served as the Chairman of the Labor and Economic Development Committee, helping guide Louisville’s multi-billion dollar economic growth. Prior to the construction of the KFC Yum! Center, he successfully crafted and guided public policy through the legislative process that gave local businesses the opportunity to grow and individuals the ability to be employed and thrive. This policy of affording minority and women owned businesses and members of the workforce the opportunity to participate in major economic development projects was later adopted by the Louisville Metro Council in the Fair Labor Standards Ordinance of 2009.
Nationally, David has been recognized for his collaborative leadership skills by being selected as a member of the Aspen Institute – Rodel Fellowship Class of 2009 and as a participant in the No Labels organization’s National Ideas Meeting held in September 2014.
In the Commonwealth of Kentucky, David has further deepened his passion for and recognition of the transformative effects of higher education through his service on the Eastern Kentucky University Board of Regents. At EKU, David served as the Secretary for the Board of Regents and currently is the Chairman of the Student Life, Discipline and Athletics Committee. David's community involvement has also included serving on the boards of the Louisville Arena Authority, the Waterfront Development Corporation, One West and the Greater Louisville Inc. (GLI) – the Metro Chamber of Commerce. Currently, David serves on the boards of the Kentucky Science Center, the Lincoln Heritage Council for the Boys Scouts of America and the Owensboro Public Schools Foundation for Excellence.
David is a native of Owensboro, Kentucky. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Vanderbilt University and his law degree from the University of Kentucky College of Law. David is a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow, Class of 2019
- Who's Who In Louisville: 2018 African American Profiles
- Insider Louisville's Top 100 Influencers in Louisville (2018), Number 33
- Insider Louisville's Top 100 Influencers in Louisville (2017), Number 46
- Insider Louisville's Top 100 Influencers in Louisville (2016), Number 40
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Owensboro Public Schools Foundation for Excellence, Board of Trustees Member
- The Kentucky Science Center, Board Member
- The Lincoln Heritage Council for the Boys Scouts of America, Board Member
- James Graham Brown Cancer Center, Board Member
- Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP Attorney, David Tandy, Featured in Who’s Who In Louisville: 2018 African American ProfilesWho’s Who In Louisville: 2018 African American Profiles, 12.07.2017
- Louisville Business First, 08.15.2017
Vanderbilt University, B.S. in Human and Organizational Development, 1995
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D., 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 1999
- Insurance Broker, Life & Health