"He is nice and professional; people who work with him feel well served and have a good connection with him." - Chambers Referral Source
Greg is a member of the Estate Planning Department and Business Services Department. A board certified trust and estate lawyer, he concentrates his practice on estate and wealth transfer planning, probate/trust and guardianship administration, federal and state transfer tax advice, advice to nonprofit charities, probate/trust litigation, and counsel to individual and corporate fiduciaries.
Estate and wealth transfer planning. Creates traditional "basic" estate plans with disability planning (financial powers of attorney and healthcare/end of life planning); complex estate plans involving generation-skipping tax planning, third-party special needs trusts and charitable planning; Irrevocable Trusts (typically for life insurance, but other times for grantor trust status (IDGT) or possibly gifts/sales to IDGT's); GRAT's (and ongoing administration/strategies); QPRT's; CLT's/CRT's; FLP's; private annuities; split dollar arrangements; and net gift agreements.
Probate/trust and guardianship administration. Been involved with supervised estates; unsupervised estates; ancillary administration matters for both residents and non-residents; guardianships (minor and adult incapacity); construction actions (probate and trust matters); trust modifications; decanting trusts; and change of situs matters.
Federal and state transfer tax advice. Been involved in many audits of Federal Estate Tax Returns and several Gift Tax Returns, as well as Indiana Inheritance Tax Matters (prior to its repeal in 2013). Also handles the preparation of Federal Estate Tax Returns, Gift Tax Returns, and Fiduciary Income Tax Returns.
Advice to nonprofit organizations. Assists clients with the creation of nonprofit entities, applications to the IRS for Tax-Exempt Status and resolution of tax-exempt status during reviews. Also assists private foundations on excess benefit transactions and appropriate record-keeping, compensation documentation and investment matters to avoid excise taxes.
Probate/trust litigation. Assists with Will Contests, Trust contests, Will and Trust disputes among fiduciaries and beneficiaries, as well as resolution of accounting, distribution and investment disputes. Has represented both fiduciaries and beneficiaries in such matters.
Counsel to fiduciaries. Assists fiduciaries (primarily corporate fiduciaries but also individual fiduciaries) with compliance with Indiana law, conversion/reconversion of unitrusts, modification to diversify strictly worded trusts, risk minimization, and resolution of disputes/complaints prior to litigation.
Greg is able to offer the most value to his clients during some of the most difficult times of their lives. He is often involved in the complicated and detail-oriented portions of his client’s estate plans. He is tasked with measuring sometimes conflicting goals with the immeasurable task of creating someone’s legacy, but it is this challenge that makes his work so rewarding.
With numerous publications, speaking engagements, and awards, it is clear to see that the community has also recognized the value of Greg’s work. His various accolades include being selected as part of The Best Lawyers in America®, achieving top ranks in the Chambers High Net Worth Guide, being included in the Indiana Super Lawyers® list, and attaining an AV® Preeminent™ rating on Martindale-Hubbell.
- Named as a “Top Ranked” Attorney by Chambers High Net Worth Guide, 2017 - 2019
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2016 - 2020, in the fields of Trust and Estates; Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® in the field of Estate Planning & Probate, 2015 - 2019
- Indy's Best and Brightest Awards Finalist, 2012
- Selected for inclusion in the Indiana Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list, 2009, 2012 - 2013
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Member
- Indiana State Bar Association, Member
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Estate Planning & Administration Section Executive Committee, Member, 2013 - 2016
- Trust & Estate Specialty Board, Certification and Recertification Committees, Member, 2011 - 2016
- Indianapolis Bar Association, Tax Section Executive Committee, Member, 2005 - 2013; Chair, 2010
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Central Indiana Community Foundation Professional Advisor Leadership Council, Member, 2017 - Present
- Biddle Memorial Foundation, Inc., Board Member, 2014 - Present
- Indiana University Medical School, Planned Giving Committee, Member, 2013 - Present
- Prevail Foundation, Inc., Board Member, 2010 - 2016
- Prevail, Inc., Past President & Board Member, 2007 - 2014
- Northview Church, Member, 2001 - Present
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), Site Coordinator and Volunteer, 1998 - Present
Contributions & Published Works
- Quoted in "Discovering Long-Lost Family: Inheritance Laws Cover Surprise Relatives, but Changes Possible," The Indiana Lawyer, May 29, 2019
- "The Ups and Downs of Investing in Bitcoin," The Indiana Lawyer, January 24, 2018
- "Duncan: Learn These Estate Planning Changes," The Indiana Lawyer, January 15, 2014
- "Three Things in Life are (or were) Certain: Estate Planning after the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012," guest blog post, Valeo Financial Advisors LLC Blog; Timothy J. Bender, co-author, March 27, 2013
- "The Fiscal Cliff In Depth," Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP, January 2013
- "1998 Developments in Indiana Taxation," 32 Indiana Law Review 1003, 1999; Lawrence A. Jegen, III, co-author
- Three Things in Life are (or were) Certain: Estate planning after the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 201203.22.2013
- Maximizing Estate Tax Planning Through Annual Gifts, and Unlimited, Direct Gifts of Tuition and Medical Expenses02.01.2013
- A Summer Celebration, Indeed: Bingham Greenebaum Doll recaps participation in annual Indiana Black Expo event08.16.2012
- Eleven Bingham Greenebaum Doll Attorneys Named 2018 "Lawyers of the Year" in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2017
- Eight BGD Attorneys Named 2017 “Lawyers of the Year” in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2016
- "Estate Planning with Assets in Multiple Jurisdictions," ICLEF CLE, Indianapolis, Indiana, 5.7.2019
- "Estate Planning: Before, During, After Divorce," Family Law Intersects: HIPAA, Ethics, Estate Planning Indiana Lawyer CLE, Indianapolis, Indiana, 12.7.2016
- “The Three E’s for Family Law Attorneys: Employment Law, Estate Planning and Ethics”, Indiana Lawyer CLE, Indianapolis, Indiana, 12.8.2015
- “Historical Perspective and Current Planning for the $5-10 Million Client”, Wabash Valley Community Foundation CLE, Terre Haute, Indiana, 10.30.2014
- “Estate Planning: From the Basics to More Advanced Considerations”, MIBOR Realtor Foundation, Indianapolis, Indiana, 7.23.2014
- “So…What is Estate Planning?”, Association of International Women, Indianapolis, Indiana, 4.14.2014
- “Top 5 Costly Estate Planning Mistakes and How to Avoid Them”, MIBOR Realtor Foundation, Indianapolis, Indiana, 2.28.2014
- "Business Succession Planning," Annual Indiana Plumbing-Heating-Cooling Contractors Association Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, 9.13.2013
- "Estate Planning," The Rural Broadband Association, 7.30.2013
- Asset Protection
- Basic Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Emerging Business
- Estate Planning
- Family Businesses
- Federal Tax
- Fiduciary Responsibility
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Other Estate Planning Techniques
- Services for Tax Exempt Organizations and Nonprofits
- Tax Law
- Trust, Estate and Fiduciary Litigation
- Wealth Management and Family Law
- Wealth Transfer
- Purdue University, Accounting, B.S., 1996
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 1999
- Board Certified Indiana Trust & Estate Lawyer, certified by the Indiana Trust & Estate Specialty Board, 2008