Jared is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation, Employment, Fiduciary and Appellate Practice Groups. On a day-to-day basis, Jared advises clients and leads litigation involving disputes in the areas of employment, business, fiduciary liability (prosecuting and defending claims against corporate and estate fiduciaries), trademark infringement, contracts, construction, insurance coverage, unfair competition, professional liability and personal injury defense. Jared also represents healthcare companies in litigation and understands the highly regulated field in which they operate.
Jared has an extensive employment litigation practice in which he represents employers in state and federal courts in all phases of employment law, including defending claims alleging violations of civil rights, wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, contract claims, unemployment insurance and hearings, and charges before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state and local human rights commissions. Jared works closely with human resources departments and employers on a wide range of employment issues to ensure compliance, how to implement the best employment practices, employer-employee relations, employee handbooks, contractual issues, wage and hour matters, and internal investigations designed to help employers avoid litigation.
Jared also routinely litigates disputes involving corporate and estate fiduciaries, including advice on forming and operating special litigation committees, addressing shareholder derivative claims and complex considerations when there is overlap between Directors and Officers in companies and trusts.
In addition to Jared’s employment and business litigation practice, he also has a robust appellate practice, successfully representing clients before the Kentucky Supreme Court and Kentucky Court of Appeals.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Prevailed in a four-day trial in Oldham County, Kentucky in 2018 on behalf of a large healthcare provider, successfully defending against nearly $1 million in damages and attorney fees claimed by a doctor in a complex age and race discrimination, and breach of contract claim. The jury also found for Jared’s client on its counterclaim against the doctor alleging breach of contract.
- Successfully represented a large healthcare provider in Jefferson County, Kentucky, obtaining a full dismissal of all claims alleged by a managerial employee claiming wrongful discharge, retaliation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The court ruled in favor of Jared’s Motion for Summary Judgment on all claims following oral arguments in the weeks before trial.
- Successfully defended a regional business against claims of disability discrimination and wrongful discharge in Federal Court in Fayette County, Kentucky. Following depositions and a strong Motion for Summary Judgment filed by Jared’s client in the months before trial, the claimant agreed to dismiss his claims.
- Successfully represented a large trust in an estate matter filed in Hardin County, Kentucky in which the opposing party sought an equitable declaratory judgment invalidating five documents created by Jared’s client, claiming that the documents were procured by undue influence. Jared’s client prevailed in a 43-page Opinion by the trial court Judge, which was unanimously affirmed by the Kentucky Court of Appeals. The Kentucky Supreme Court declined to hear the matter on discretionary review.
- Benchmark Litigation 40 and Under Hot List honoree, 2018
- University of Kentucky College of Law Moot Court; Chair of the Writing Division
- Recognized as one of the "Kentucky Rising Stars" in the Kentucky Super Lawyers® list, 2015-2019
- Defense Research Institute, Member, Commercial Litigation Committee, Class Action Committee, and Anti-Trust Committee
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- American Inn of Court, Barrister
American Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- Tort & Law Section
Kentucky Bar Association
- Young Lawyer Section
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker, LLP (Louisville, KY), 2010 – 2012
- Boehl Stopher & Graves, LLP (Louisville, KY), 2008-2010
Civic and Charitable Involvement
Young Professionals Association of Louisville - Legal Committee
Director, Lake Forest Community Association, Inc.
Contributions & Published Works
- “Stalemate: Free Exercise Exemptions and the Intragovernmental Game of Chess,” Senior Thesis, Princeton University, 2005
J.D.,University of Kentucky College of Law, 2008
A.B.,Princeton University, 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky Supreme Court, 2008
- Districts of Kentucky, 2008
United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Kentucky, 2008
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2008