Joey advises and represents clients in matters involving oil and gas, coal, energy and natural resources law, preparing mineral title opinions from division orders on down, conducting standup title searches, and advising on complicated title, leasing and regulatory matters.
Previously Joey has worked in the junior mining sector as a geologist, analyst, and operator, and has visited and assessed gold and other mines in various countries, and also managed day to day operations of an exploratory gold mining project in Colorado.
Prior to graduation from law school, Joey was part of a team at Michigan Law working to provide an objective review of current regulation and offer policy recommendations for hydraulic fracturing and the production of shale gas in Ohio and Michigan. In the aftermath of the BP oil spill in the summer of 2010, he worked in the Office of the Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Interior, drafting regulations pertaining to offshore drilling.
Joey is also an avid rock climber with international climbing experience in the U.S., UK, Europe, Brazil, Israel, Jordan, Mexico and Thailand. He has summited Mt. Rainier (14,410 ft.) and Mt. Whitney (14,505 ft.) in the U.S., Island Peak (20,305 ft.) in the Everest Region of Nepal, Cotopaxi (19,347 ft.) in Ecuador, the Matterhorn (14,692 ft.) in Switzerland, Mont Blanc (15,781 ft.) in France, and various peaks in Colorado.
- Of Counsel, Rhine Ernest LLP, 2012-2016
- COO, Counsel, Strata Resource Management, 2013-2014
- Office of the Secretary Summer Fellow, U.S. Department of the Interior, 2010
- Equity Finance Analyst, Loeb Aron & Co., LTD, 2006-2008
- Research Assistance, Geological Survey of Israel, 2005
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Trustee of Curt C. Silberman Charitable Foundation, supporting programs to promote, protect and strengthen values in democracy, human rights, ethical leadership, and cultural pluralism
- MLawRocks!, Michigan Law student rock climbing association, Founder, President, 2009 – 2011
- Former Emergency Medical Technician, Wilderness EMT Certified, Volunteer Fireman, Eagle Scout
Contributions & Published Works
- Thesis on the Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing in Michigan and Ohio