Katy Garvey is a member of the firm’s Corporate Services Department where she advises and represents businesses and owners on a variety of legal issues, including mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate and commercial matters; company formation and liquidations; and economic incentives.
Prior to joining BGD, Katy as a Legal Extern in the UK HealthCare Risk Management Department in 2016, gaining exposure to a variety of legal issues facing healthcare entities. Katy also worked as a summer associate at Stoll Keenon Ogden in 2014. Before attending law school, she was a legal assistant for Elder Law of Louisville, as well as an intern for Louisville Metro Government in the Office of the Mayor.
Katy earned her J.D. from the University of Kentucky College of Law, graduating summa cum laude in 2016. She earned her undergraduate degree in Government from Centre College, graduating magna cum laude in 2012, where she also minored in English and International Relations. Her note, Taking Physicians Out of the Straightjacket: Defending Physician Free Speech Rights by Defining the “Truthful but Not Misleading” Standard, was published in the Kentucky Law Journal in 2016.
- Order of the Coif
- Colvin P. Rouse Award for Best Student Note, October 2016
- Ashland Inc. Legal Scholar
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Criminal Law, Administrative Law, Bankruptcy, Intellectual Property, Legal Drafting, Legal Accounting and Secured Transactions
- Kentucky Law Journal, Best Second Year Source and Cite Editor Award, 2015
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Kentucky Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Stoll Keenon Ogden, Summer Associate, 2014
- Elder Law of Louisville, Legal Assistant, 2012-2013
- Louisville Metro Government, Office of the Mayor, Intern, 2012
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Centre College Third Century Campaign, Louisville Committee
Contributions & Published Works
- Note, Taking Physicians Out of the Straightjacket: Defending Physician Free Speech Rights by Defining the “Truthful but Nonmisleading” Standard, 104 Ky. L.J. 353 (2016)
Centre College, B.A., Government, magna cum laude, 2012
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2016
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 2016