Mark is a partner and past chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. With more than 30 years of experience, his practice involves business litigation. Mark represents business clients in state and federal courts, and in arbitration and mediation proceedings throughout Kentucky and the nation. He is experienced in resolving a wide array of business disputes, including commercial contract claims, environmental litigation, class actions and professional liability claims.
His environmental litigation experience includes defense of CERCLA cost recovery claims and toxic tort class actions. His class action experience also includes representation of financial institutions, manufacturers and retailers. In the area of professional liability, he has represented accountants, architects, attorneys, engineers and realtors.
"Mark Riddle is a 'very smart' attorney who maintains an 'excellent reputation' for his assistance with courtroom proceedings, arbitrations and mediations. He offers counsel on breach of contract disputes, class actions and professional negligence allegations." - Chambers and Partners, 2017.
Mark has been selected by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business”, for inclusion on the Kentucky Super Lawyers list, and recognized as a “Local Litigation Star” by the Benchmark Litigation guide. The Best Lawyers in America publication selected him as the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Environmental Litigation in the Louisville market.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Obtained defense jury verdict in favor of engineering firm in connection with natural gas pipeline explosion
- Obtained dismissal of multiple class actions filed against financial institutions relating to banking practices and procedures
- Successful prosecution, defense and resolution of a wide variety of business disputes, breach of contract, construction and environmental litigation matters
- Experienced in litigation in federal and state courts in numerous jurisdictions
- Substantial experience in mediation and arbitration, including proceedings before the American Arbitration Association and JAMS
- Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the fields of Litigation: General Commercial, 2014-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America® Louisville Litigation - Environmental "Lawyer of the Year", 2016, 2018
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-2018, in the fields of Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Environmental
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2018
- Selected for inclusion in Kentucky Super Lawyers® in the fields of Business Litigation, 2012-2017; Environmental Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts, 2015, 2018
- Recognized as one of the "Top 50 Attorneys in Kentucky" in the Kentucky Super Lawyers® list, 2015
- USLAW Network, Board of Directors, 2002-2005; Steering Committee for Business Litigation/Class Action Practice Group
- Defense Research Institute, member of Business Litigation Committee
- Louisville Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Member of Section of Litigation
- Leadership Louisville, Class of 2010
- Louisville Forum
- Kentucky Bar Association, Planning Committee Chair for 2005 Annual Convention; founding member of Construction and Public Contract Law Section; Task Force on CLE and Technology
- Jefferson Circuit Courtroom Upgrade Project – Founding member of this organization, which oversaw the development, funding, and installation of a state–of-the-art multimedia audiovisual presentation system in courtrooms located in Louisville, Kentucky.
Contributions & Published Works
- "Regulation and Enforcement of Odor Emissions”, Kentucky Chamber of Commerce 14th Annual Environmental Conference
- "Electronically Stored Information and E-Discovery: The Impact of the Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure"
- "Planning to Avoid (or Win) Business Litigation"
- "Class Action Litigation Challenging NSF and Late Fees," 22nd Annual Conference on Legal Issues for Financial Institutions, University of Kentucky College of Law
- "An Overview of Buyer's Rights and Remedies Under the Uniform Commercial Code," Purchasing Management Association of Louisville
- "Control Paper Flow During Business Disputes," Business First
- Eleven Bingham Greenebaum Doll Attorneys Named 2018 "Lawyers of the Year" in the 24th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2017
- Chambers USA 2017, 06.08.2017
- Eight BGD Attorneys Named 2017 “Lawyers of the Year” in the 23rd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©08.15.2016
Hilton Lexington Downtown
269 W. Vine Street
Lexington, KY 4050702.09.2016
- “Regulation and Enforcement of Odor Emissions,” 14th Annual Kentucky Environmental Conference, Lexington, Kentucky, February 10, 2016
- “Getting the Most Out of Your USLAW Membership,” USLAW Network Business Development Webinar Series, September 23, 2015
University of Kentucky, B.A., Business Administration, with honors, 1980
University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D., 1983
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 1983
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court