Matthew G. Nolley is a partner in the firm’s Indianapolis office and a member of the Economic Development Department. His practice is focused in real estate, business and finance law.
Matt’s practice includes representing developers and owners of multifamily, mixed-use, hospitality, retail, office, medical office and industrial projects through the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and disposition stages of the asset’s life cycle. Matt has extensive experience in real estate development projects financed by tax credits, including low-income housing tax credits (LIHTC), historic tax credits (HTC) and New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC), and the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s 221(d)(4) program. His clients often call on Matt to counsel them through creative and often complex structuring of partnerships and projects utilizing tiered financing arrangements and innovative real estate constructs. Matt has also represented owners of multifamily properties refinancing their holdings through HUD’s 223(f) and 223(a)(7) programs, as well as Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and various CMBS loan programs. Matt has also represented lenders extending loans secured by various real estate product types.
Matt is licensed to practice in Indiana and Washington D.C. As a law student, Matt fulfilled a law clerkship with the Air Force General Counsel’s Office, located at the Pentagon, where he provided legal research and other consulting insight into the issues the department faced, including contractor ethics issues, officer discharge procedures, interpretations of federal laws, and CFIUS reviews.
Matt earned his B.S. from Purdue University. He then earned an MBA with a focus in accounting and marketing from Indiana University Kelley School of Business and a J.D. from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Counsel to a developer client in securing over $3.5M in Industrial Recovery Tax Credits from the Indiana Economic Development Corporation for the redevelopment of a small complex of industrial buildings on the east side of Indianapolis.
- Counsel to real estate clients regarding low-income housing tax credits, historic tax credits and new markets tax credits.
- Counsel for multi-family, office, medical, industrial and retail developers regarding land acquisition, development, financing, leasing and disposition.
- Counsel for national real estate developer in sale of a three-state portfolio of ten properties to a foreign REIT.
- Counsel for local medical group of its office building to a national investment firm.
- Counsel to national developer in the acquisition and development of several hotels reliant on development incentives and land assemblages.
- Counsel for a single-family housing developer, including acquisition through a land assemblage and a unique condominium-style structure for the sale of the homes.
- Review and draft letters of intent and leases for local and national retailers and other tenants, as well as representing landlords in similar negotiations.
- Selected for inclusion in the Indiana Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list in the field of Real Estate, 2016-2019
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Indiana Affordable Housing Council (IAHC)
- Kuhl & Grant LLP, Associate
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Riley Area Development Corporation, Ex Officio & Member (Former President, Vice President, Treasurer)
- Indianapolis Zoo Council, Member
- Indianapolis Zoo Zoobilation Committee, Member
- Shelbyville Central Education Foundation, Board Member
- 1816 (Indiana State Museum), Logistics & Corporate Partnerships Committees (Former Member)
- Firm Client Roosevelt IN LLC Secures Over $3.5M in Industrial Recovery Tax Credits from the Indiana Economic Development Corporation02.08.2018
- Bed Bugs: Landlord & Tenant Responsibilities, Affordable Housing Association of Indiana (AHAIN) Annual Conference, 2012
- Recent Trends, Issues, Changes in Title / Survey, Indiana Affordable Housing Council (IAHC) Annual Conference, 2014
Purdue University, B.S., 2006
Indiana University, Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D., 2009
Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, MBA, 2009
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2009
Washington D.C., 2013
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2009
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2009