Matt Johns is a member of the firm's Litigation Department, focusing his practice on the representation of clients in various complex litigation matters.
Matt has extensive litigation experience in matters involving corporate and partnership disputes, construction and real estate disputes, class action litigation, governmental litigation, and various other commercial litigation matters.
Matt’s practice also includes representation of athlete agency firms, athlete agents, coaches, and professional athletes in litigation and NCAA compliance matters.
Matt is experienced in a wide variety of complex securities litigation matters, including fraud and violation of federal and state laws, securities industry regulations, and FINRA and SEC enforcement matters.
Matt's practice also includes bankruptcy litigation, representing creditors in reorganizations and liquidations. He is knowledgeable in all areas of bankruptcy litigation, with extensive litigation experience of fraud within bankruptcy.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Successfully defended municipality against $247,000,000 class-action lawsuit alleging imposition of illegal taxes, and obtained rulings from the Georgia Court of Appeals and Georgia Supreme Court affirming the trial court’s ruling.
- Successfully defended a municipally owned rapid transit system against $230,000,000 lawsuit alleging improper construction bidding procedures.
- Obtained complete defense award in multi-million dollar arbitration proceeding involving the construction of twenty-eight chain restaurants.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class-action lawsuit brought against national real estate development firm seeking damages in excess of $50,000,000.
- Successfully defended Snapchat in nationally publicized litigation alleging product liability claims.
- Successfully defended national investment bank in real estate litigation that resulted in the longest trial seeking the largest amount of damages in the history of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Represented NCAA Division I coach in NCAA Compliance Investigation.
- Represented NCAA Division I coach in internal investigation and NCAA Compliance investigation regarding hazing allegations.
- Represented NCAA Division I coach in contract negotiations with athlete agency firm..
- Selected for inclusion in Indiana Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list, 2019
- Recognized as one of the "Rising Stars" in the Georgia Super Lawyers® list (2018)
- Recognized as one of the "Rising Stars" in the Illinois Super Lawyers® list (2014 - 2015)
- Recognized as one of the "Rising Stars" in the Illinois Super Lawyers® list (2017- 2018)
- Recognized as a “Lawyer of Distinction” (2017)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, Georgia, Bar Association
- Member, Illinois Bar Association
- Member, Indianapolis Bar Association
- Member, Brookhaven Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Dekalb County Chamber of Commerce
Greenberg Traurig, LLP
Thompson Coburn, LLP
Taft, Stettinius, & Hollister, LLP
Contributions & Published Works
• Post-Petition Rents As Property Of The Estate: State Or Federal Law, 6 Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 44 (July/August 2010).
• Is a State Court Receiver-Initiated Chapter 11 Proceeding an End Run around § 303, Am. Bankr. Inst. J. 14 (July/August 2011).
University of Alabama, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2009
Bar & Court Admissions
- Georgia, 2015
- Illinois, 2012
- Indiana, 2009