Michael is an associate in the Business Services Department. He focuses his practice in mergers, acquisitions, and other commercial and transactional matters; economic development and incentives; and beverage alcohol law.
While in law school, Michael served as the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 7 of the Notre Dame Journal of International & Comparative Law, worked as an Assistant Rector in the residence halls, and interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in South Bend, where he appeared on behalf of the United States in minor hearings. Michael also founded the Food and Beverage Law Club at Notre Dame, where he gained familiarity with legal issues facing the alcohol, restaurant, and hospitality industries.
Michael has published two law journal articles on beverage alcohol matters – his article on liquor labelling laws was published in the Notre Dame Journal of International & Comparative Law, and his article on brownfield redevelopment and historic preservation by breweries and distilleries in Kentucky and the Midwest was published in the University of Louisville Journal of Animal and Environmental Law.
As an undergraduate at Notre Dame, Michael received the Rev. A. Leonard Collins, C.S.C., Award for leadership, published a senior thesis, and studied Classical archaeology for a semester in Rome.
- American Law Institute – Continuing Legal Scholarship and Leadership Award, 2017
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Program of Study in Global Law (Notre Dame Law School), 2017
- Faculty Award for Excellence: Legal Research – State, County, Municipal (Notre Dame Law School), 2017
- Asian Pacific Alumni Award for Outstanding Excellence (Notre Dame), 2013
- A. Leonard Collins, C.S.C. Award (top undergraduate leadership award at Notre Dame), 2013
- Bingham Greenebaum Doll, Summer Associate, 2016
- United States Attorney’s Office (Northern District of Indiana – South Bend), Legal Intern, 2015-2016
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Small Business Pro Bono Project (Notre Dame Law School), Team Member, 2016
- Thomas More Society (Notre Dame Law School), Officer 2014-2016
- Asian Law Students Association (Notre Dame Law School), 1L Representative, 2014-2015
- University of Notre Dame Handbell Choir, Member, 2014-2015
Contributions & Published Works
- “The Spirit(s) of Environmental and Historic Preservation: Revitalizing Communities and Making the Case for Greater Involvement by Private Parties in Brownfield Redevelopment in Kentucky,” University of Louisville Journal of Animal and Environmental Law, vol. 8, iss. 2 (Aug. 2017)
- Note, “’Safe Harbor’ on the Rocks: TTB Label Approval for Beer, Wine, and Spirits, and the Uncertain Status of the ‘Safe Harbor’ Defense,” Notre Dame Journal of International & Comparative Law, vol. 7, iss. 2 (May 2017)
Notre Dame Law School, 2017
University of Notre Dame, B.A., Classics, magna cum laude, 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 2017