Michael is an associate in the Business Services Department and a member of the Beverage Alcohol Team. His practice involves mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, corporate governance, and other corporate, commercial, and contractual matters.
Michael has worked with clients in the distilled spirits, restaurant, hospitality, insurance, health, and manufacturing industries. Michael assists with drafting and reviewing opinion letters in connection with loan transactions. Michael also advises on compliance with state and federal alcohol laws, including Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) labeling regulations and the three-tier system. Two law journals have published his articles on alcoholic beverage matters.
While in law school, Michael served as Editor-in-Chief for the Notre Dame Journal of International & Comparative Law, worked as an Assistant Rector in the residence halls, and interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in South Bend, where he appeared on behalf of the United States in minor hearings. Michael also founded the Food and Beverage Law Club at Notre Dame. Michael is the recipient of the Rev. A. Leonard Collins, C.S.C., Award for leadership from the University of Notre Dame.
Michael is a Certified Bourbon Steward with the Stave and Thief Society.
- Louisville Business First Young Leader Award, 2019
- American Law Institute – Continuing Legal Scholarship and Leadership Award, 2017
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Program of Study in Global Law (Notre Dame Law School), 2017
- Faculty Award for Excellence: Legal Research – State, County, Municipal (Notre Dame Law School), 2017
- Asian Pacific Alumni Award for Outstanding Excellence (Notre Dame), 2013
- A. Leonard Collins, C.S.C. Award (top undergraduate leadership award at Notre Dame), 2013
- Bingham Greenebaum Doll, Summer Associate, 2016
- United States Attorney’s Office (Northern District of Indiana – South Bend), Legal Intern, 2015-2016
- Bourbon Society, Member
- Stave and Thief Society, Certified Bourbon Steward
- Young Alumni of Notre Dame, Regional Director (Ohio Valley)
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Small Business Pro Bono Project (Notre Dame Law School), Team Member, 2016
- Thomas More Society (Notre Dame Law School), Officer 2014-2016
- Asian Law Students Association (Notre Dame Law School), 1L Representative, 2014-2015
- University of Notre Dame Handbell Choir, Member, 2014-2015
Contributions & Published Works
- “The Spirit(s) of Environmental and Historic Preservation: Revitalizing Communities and Making the Case for Greater Involvement by Private Parties in Brownfield Redevelopment in Kentucky,” University of Louisville Journal of Animal and Environmental Law, vol. 8, iss. 2 (Aug. 2017)
- Note, “’Safe Harbor’ on the Rocks: TTB Label Approval for Beer, Wine, and Spirits, and the Uncertain Status of the ‘Safe Harbor’ Defense,” Notre Dame Journal of International & Comparative Law, vol. 7, iss. 2 (May 2017)
- Guest Lecturer, "Legal Research in the Alcoholic Beverage Industry," Notre Dame Law School, November 2019
- Guest Lecturer, "Legal Research in the Distilled Spirits Industry," Notre Dame Law School, April 2019
- Speaker, "Pursuing a Legal Career in the Alcoholic Beverage Industry," Notre Dame Food and Beverage Law Club, April 2019
Notre Dame Law School, 2017
University of Notre Dame, B.A., Classics, magna cum laude, 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 2017