Peter has provided legal counsel and consulting services for more than thirty years to clients across the U.S. regarding energy, environmental and public utility law matters. He has assisted government, institutional and industrial clients in navigating the complexities of restructured electric and natural gas markets. His clients have included state, regional, county and municipal governments; large manufacturing concerns; institutional clients, including some of the country’s largest university systems; and environmental interests.
He advises clients regarding the transition from an economy heavily reliant upon fossil fuels to more diverse energy supplies and an energy sector based upon renewable, carbon neutral and domestically produced fuels. This includes representation in connection with emerging energy and environmental policies, laws and regulations; comprehensive energy management planning; energy market assessments; and capital project planning, development, finance and management. Peter assists clients in managing the uncertainties of the regulatory environment, assessing impacts on industrial and institutional operating budgets, and implementing capital projects designed to achieve energy efficiencies, cost savings, budget stability and a clean energy future.
While not an engineer, his decades of experience enables an understanding of emerging renewable and alternative energy technologies involving biomass fuels, wind, solar, geothermal and hydro power. Equally important is his long-standing involvement helping advance approaches to energy efficiency through distributed power generation, combined heat and power (cogeneration), district energy, waste energy recovery and waste-to-energy, as well as the related combustion, gasification and heat recovery technologies. His experience includes incorporation of these energy efficiency technologies and processes into district energy, wastewater and water utility systems. He regularly addresses issues ranging from federal and state regulatory approvals, public and private project financing, project structuring, design and construction, facility management and operations, electric power purchases and sales, natural gas procurement and transportation, utility interconnections, and rates and tariffs.
In addition to his regulatory and transactional practices, Peter has considerable experience in complex civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels in state and federal courts.
- American Bar Association - Environment, Energy and Natural Resource Section
- Indiana State Bar Association - Environmental Law Section and Utility Law Section
- Energy Bar Association - Renewable Energy Committee
The Hyatt Regency Hotel Indianapolis
1 S Capitol Ave
Indianapolis, IN 4620408.12.2014
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
1 S. Capitol Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 4620408.13.2013
- "Energy Cost Reduction Opportunities in Indiana Manufacturing," Indiana Conference on Energy Management, Indiana Chamber of Commerce, June 4, 2019
- "Winds of Change: Renewables, DERs, Storage, Microgrids, Grid Edge Technology, loT and more," Indiana Conference on Energy Management, Indiana Chamber of Commerce, August 1, 2018
- "Clean Power Plan: How the Industrial, Manufacturing and Institutional Customer Can Benefit," 2016 Indiana Environmental Conference, Indiana Chamber of Commerce, Indianapolis, October 20-21, 2016
- Combined Heat and Power: Project Development and Related Technologies Workshop, Sponsored by Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Midwest Cogeneration Association and Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP, Indianapolis, September 15, 2016
- "Clean Power Plan Panel: Here We Are and Here's Where We Go," 2016 Energy Management Conference, Indiana Chamber of Commerce, Indianapolis, August 17-18, 2016
University of Montana, B.A., Environmental Biology, 1972
Indiana University, M.P.A., Environmental Management, 1974
Hamline University, J.D., 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Minnesota
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit