Phil Sicuso serves as the Chair of the Economic Development Department, where he focuses his practice on helping government and private sector entities work together to create economic growth. Phil possess a deep understanding of and substantial experience in government and regulatory affairs, with particular emphasis on casino gaming and state lottery law, as well as government procurement/contracting matters ranging from standard contracts for services, to inter-governmental/local agreements, to large public-private partnerships. Phil’s extensive contract negotiation and drafting expertise, his deep knowledge of state and local government laws, and his experience working on projects in every corner of Indiana allows him to provide his clients with critical and timely counsel on a broad range of matters.
During his tenure at BGD, Phil has represented a wide array of state and local government entities, as well as private sector clients on deals ranging in value from tens of thousands to over a billion dollars. His clients turn to him to help them solve complex business law or government-related matters, including providing representation before multiple government agencies and at the Indiana General Assembly, where Phil is a registered lobbyist. In that role, he has worked collaboratively and successfully with legislators and staff from both sides of the aisle.
Prior to joining BGD, Phil spent more than five years working in Governor Mitch Daniels’ administration as General Counsel for the Indiana Gaming Commission (“IGC”). During his tenure at the IGC, Indiana grew into one of the top three jurisdictions nationwide both in terms of gross gaming revenues and gaming tax revenues. Since leaving the IGC, Phil has continued to expand his gaming expertise by providing counsel in multiple casino gaming jurisdictions and tribal gaming matters, while also representing the Hoosier Lottery in the negotiation and ongoing oversight of its comprehensive Integrated Services Agreement for the outsourcing of various functions to a private vendor.
Phil relies on his years of in-house government experience to help clients from numerous industries understand and navigate the nuances of the government and regulatory oversight structures applicable to their businesses. He also helps government and quasi-governmental clients leverage state and local resources to achieve growth objectives and to improve opportunities for progress.
Outside of work, Phil is engaged in activities at St. Malachy Catholic Church as a parishioner and volunteer, and he enjoys coaching and being involved with his children’s athletic and extracurricular activities.
- Arthur May Award for excellence in trial advocacy and commitment to ethical standards, Notre Dame Law School, 2002
- Varsity Monogram, University of Notre Dame, 1999 (football)
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Indiana Gaming Commission, General Counsel (2005-2010)
- Barnes & Thornburg, LLP (2003-2005)
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Edward F. Harrington, U.S. District Judge for the District of Massachusetts (2002-2003)
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- St. Malachy Catholic Church, parishioner and volunteer
- Walton Family Foundation Grant Partners Program (Public Charter Startup Grants)
Contributions & Published Works
- "Will Sports Betting Decision Open Door to More Virtual Sports Betting in the U.S.?," American Gaming Lawyer, Fall 2018
- "Leaders share ideas, discuss efforts to help Hoosiers out of cycle of poverty," The Criterion Online, The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis, March 4, 2016
- Co-author, "Gambling Games at IND Could Help You Fly Nonstop," INside Edge Perspectives Column, Inside INdiana Business, August. 6, 2013
- Judge Rules Copyright Lawsuit Over Tattoo Use in Video Game Can Proceed: What Might This Mean for the Video Game Industry and Virtual Sports Betting?05.18.2018
- Indiana State Superintendent of Public Instruction Elect Glenda Ritz to Speak at the 2012 Legislative Conference11.30.2012
- Registration Now Open for the 2017 BGD Legislative Conference Featuring David Gergen, Senior Political Analyst for CNN and Governor Eric Holcomb09.29.2017
French Lick Springs Resort & Casino
8670 W State Road 56
French Lick, IN 4743207.23.2015
Marriott Hotel & Resorts
350 West Maryland St.
Bingham McHale LLP
10 W. Market Street
- Global Gaming Expo (g2e) Conference, panelist, the International Masters of Gaming Law panel on Lotteries, October 2018
- The Future of Gaming, panelist, "25 Years of Gaming," hosted by Hannah News, October 17, 2018
- Business Law Skills Series: Legislative Update, IndyBar, 2016
- "Gaming Law 101," 2012 Global Gaming Expo, Las Vegas, Nev.
- "What You Need to Know When Serving on an Indiana Nonprofit Board," Indianapolis Bar Association, November 2011
- ICLEF, Advanced Gaming Law Roundtable, 2009 and 2011
- ICLEF, Revealing the Mysteries of Administrative Law, 2005
- GLI University, Midwest Regional Gaming Regulators' Seminar, Indianapolis, Indiana, 2016.
University of Notre Dame, B.A., magna cum laude, 1999
Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2003