Rachel A. Washburn is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department where she advises and represents clients in matters involving general business litigation, fiduciary litigation, products liability litigation, and premise liability litigation. Rachel has experience representing clients in both federal and state courts, and frequently represents clients at hearings, in depositions, in mediations, and through appellate practice.
Rachel earned her J.D. from Washington University School of Law, where she served as a staff editor and was published by the Washington University Jurisprudence Review. As a law student, Rachel served as an intern for Legal Services of Eastern Missouri and as a summer associate for BGD.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Sat second chair in a trial where BGD obtained a verdict in favor of Hillerich & Bradsby in a dissenters’ rights action, arising from its $70 million sale of assets including the Louisville Slugger brand to Wilson Sporting Goods. Schoen v. Hillerich & Bradsby Co., No. 15-Ci-4905 (Jefferson Circuit Ct. 2018).
- Worked with local counsel in the Appellate Court of Illinois, Fifth District, to obtain order enforcing the arbitration provisions included in terms of service for Hilliard Lyons. June Ward v. JJ. B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC, No. 5-18-0214 (Ill. App. Sept. 6, 2018).
- Obtained complete summary judgment in favor of roof coating manufacturer, resulting in the dismissal of claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, and negligence. Duke’s Roofing and Exterior Construction, LLC v. Lexis Coatings, LLC, No. 5:16-cv-00432 (Eastern District Kentucky 2018).
- Scholar in Law Award
- Moot Court - Outstanding Brief
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award – Ethics Seminar Practical Legal Writing and Analysis for Litigators
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award – Ethics Seminar
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Officer of KBA Business Law Section - 2019
- Summer Associate, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, 2014-2016
- Summer Associate, Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP, 2015
- Legal Extern, Missouri Court of Appeals – Western District, 2014
- Legal Intern, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri – Lasting Solutions, 2014
- Intern, Vanderburgh County Circuit Court, 2011
- Ambassador for Family and Children's Place - 2018
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Play-Spaces, volunteer
Contributions & Published Works
- Freedom of Marriage: An Analysis of Positive and Negative Rights, 8 Wash. U. Jur. Rev. 087 (2015).
University of Southern Indiana, B.S., Political Science, Philosophy, 2012
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2016
Bar & Court Admissions
- Kentucky, 2016
Kentucky Supreme Court, 2016
- Eastern District of Kentucky
- Western District of Kentucky