Reed S. Schmitt is a Partner in the firm’s Business Services Department. Reed has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of estate planning and administration, corporate law and commercial litigation.
Reed’s estate planning practice includes the drafting of simple estate and lifetime planning documents to more complex trust arrangements. He has been involved in complex estate administration matters, including will contest litigation and contested guardianship proceedings.
His corporate practice includes representing small, family-owned businesses to much larger multi-state corporations. Reed has been involved in the formation of numerous business entities, in the acquisition and reorganization of business entities, and in the process of funding start-up businesses. He has also been involved in the administration of a public offering.
Reed has successfully argued two cases before the Indiana Court of Appeals, and has established Indiana law regarding the transfer of closely-held stock in a decedent’s estate, and defining trade secrets in non-competition agreements.
Reed is a graduate of Purdue University, where he played on the Water Polo Team, and earned his J.D. from Indiana University School of Law. Reed is active in numerous professional, civic and charitable organizations, an active swimming enthusiast, and is the past president of the Evansville Bar Association.
Representative Cases and Achievements
- Michael W. Peters, M.D. and Deaconess Hospital v. Cynthia S. Kendall and Michael J. Kendall; 999 N.E.2d 1030 (Ind. Ct. App. 2013) – The Court of Appeals upheld the trial court’s ruling that the Plaintiffs’ proof of claim filed in the insurer’s liquidation was not a release.
- The State Group Industrial (USA) Limited v. Murphy & Associates Industrial Services, Inc.; 878 N.E.2d 475 (Ind. Ct. App. 2007) – The Court of Appeals held that the indemnification provision in the contract was not broad enough to protect the supplier from liability from its own intentional misrepresentations.
- Hydraulic Exchange and Repair, Inc. and Paul Titzer v. KM Specialty Pumps, Inc. and KM Specialty Systems, Inc.; 690 N.E. 2d 782 (Ind. Ct. App. 1998) – The Court of Appeals held that a customer list, which contained pricing information, was a trade secret.
- Koch v. James; 670 N.E.2d 113 (1996) – The Court of Appeals reversed the trial court and remanded with instructions for shares to be sold only to the extent necessary to satisfy expenses after exhaustion of residuary assets.
- Koch v. James; 616 N.E.2d 759 (1993) – The Court of Appeals reversed the trial court and remanded with instructions for the Personal Representative to engage in a stock redemption for the estate’s stock.
- Doran Perdue/EBA Service Award, Recipient
- EBA President’s Award, Recipient
- Evansville Commerce Bank, Founding Director; General Counsel
- Evansville Bar Association, Past President; Member
- First Light Bancorp, Founding Director, Chairman, General Counsel
- John L. Sanders/Evansville Bar Foundation, Founding Director; Past President
- Evansville Estate and Financial Planning Council, Past President
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Rhine Ernest LLP
- Frick Powell Whinrey Cravens & Schmitt, LLP
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Brooks American Inn of Court, Barrister
- Vanderburgh County Law Library Foundation, Past President
- St. Paul’s UCC Foundation, Inc., President
- St. Paul’s UCC Council, Past President
- Ronald McDonald House Charities, Founding Director
- Youth Resources of Southwest Indiana, Inc., Board of Directors
- The Good Samaritan Home, Inc., General Counsel
- F.J. Reitz High School Swimming and Diving Team, Volunteer
- Presenter for the ICLEF seminar – The Process of Probate Practice
- Speaker at the fourth annual EBA Estate and Business Planning Institute
- Presenter at Probate Practice for the Lorman Institute
- Speaker at Ivy Tech State College for Advance Directives and Lifetime Planning
Purdue University, B.A. Political Science and History, 1981
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, J.D. 1984
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 1984
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 1984
U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2012
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2012
U.S. Tax Court, 1987