Tonya is the Chair of the Private Equity/Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group and a member of the Business Services Department. Tonya advises businesses in meeting their strategic objectives and focuses her practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, securities offerings, corporate governance and public company compliance, and banking regulation.
Tonya has extensive experience representing private and public companies, including financial institutions, in stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, and other reorganizations. She regularly advises banks and bank holding companies with respect to banking regulatory matters and securities law compliance, and she frequently assists startup and emerging companies with forming and structuring their companies, private placements and other capital raises, and negotiation of commercial contracts.
As Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Tonya works with the firm’s leadership to promote practices and procedures which support diversity and inclusion within the firm and in our legal communities. Tonya was the firm’s inaugural Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, and represents the firm in a number of its diversity and inclusion initiatives on a local and national level.
Tonya was recognized by the Indiana Lawyer as an “Up and Coming Lawyer” during the 2011 Leadership in Law Awards, and has been a Top Ten Finalist in Law for Indy’s Best and Brightest Awards.
Representative Cases and Achievements
Represented First Merchants Corporation in its acquisition of MBT Financial Corporation, which closed in September 2019. Consideration paid was approximately $228 million.
Represented OrthoPediatrics Corp., a medical device company, in connection with an underwritten public offering of common stock in December 2018. Net proceeds totaled $43.4 million.
Represented German American Bancorp, Inc. in its acquisition of First Security, Inc., which closed in October 2018. Consideration paid was approximately $101 million.
Represented Stratosphere Quality, LLC, at the time the largest sorting and inspection company in North America, on its sale to the Tokyo based Sojitz Corporation and Nagoya based Green Tec Corporation in August 2017.
Represented First Merchants Corporation in its acquisition of Independent Alliance Banks, Inc., which closed in July 2017. Consideration paid was approximately $259 million.
Represented First Merchants Corporation in its acquisition of The Arlington Bank, which closed in May 2017. Consideration paid was approximately $83 million.
Represented German American Bancorp, Inc. in its acquisition of River Valley Bancorp, which closed in March 2016. Consideration paid was approximately $87 million.
Renegotiation of intellectual property rights agreement - $1B
Asset and stock purchase of manufacturing companies -$59M
Sale of membership interest in software company - $28M
Private equity financing for bio-science company - $20M
Venture capital financing for pharmaceutical solutions company - $6M
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow, Class of 2017
- Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber WE Lead, Class of 2015-2016
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society, 2013
- Indiana Lawyer Leadership in Law Program - Up and Coming Lawyer, 2011
- Indy’s Best and Brightest – Top Ten Finalist in Law, 2011
- The Indianapolis Star – Rising Star, 2011
- Robert H. Stanton Intramural Moot Court Competition - Order of Barristers, 2006-2008
- Moot Court Society – Associate Justice, 2007-2008
- Thai American Bar Association, Founding Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Member
- American Bar Association: Business Law Division, Member
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Member
- Associate, Quarles & Brady LLP, 2012-2014
- Associate, Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP, 2008-2012
Civic and Charitable Involvement
- Women Helping Women, Board of Trustees, 2017
- Project Yoga Cincinnati, Board of Directors, 2015-2017
- Present Music, Board Member, Corporate Secretary, 2014-2015
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra – Crescendo, Young Professionals Chair, 2013-2014
- Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra – FORTE, Leadership Committee, 2009-2012
- Asian American Alliance, Board Member, 2011-2012
- Young Professionals of Central Indiana (YPCI), Board Member, 2008-2010
Contributions & Published Works
- "General Counsel Call Law Firms to Action on Diversity," The Indiana Lawyer, May 2019
- "Lessons Learned from Female & Minority Leaders, Litigators and Deal-Makers," The Women, Diversity and Change Summit, Chicago, June 2018
- "A Sea of Change or No Change to See: Legal Issues in a Year of Transition," Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Indiana Chapter, 2017
- "Business Law Skills Series: Legislative Update," IndyBar, 2016
- "Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP Corporate Law Update," 2012
- “Choice of Entity,” Indiana Department of Administration, 2008-2011
- “MBE/WBE/VBE Certification,” Columbus (IN) Chamber of Commerce, PNC Bank, and Indiana Black Expo, Inc., 2008-2011
Indiana University Kelley School of Business, B.S., with distinction, 2005
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law - Indianapolis, J.D., cum laude, 2008
Bar & Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2008
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2008
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2008