Distillery and Brewery Development
The alcoholic beverage industry is experiencing unprecedented growth, and Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP continues to assist in all areas related to distillery and brewery development throughout the region. With offices located in Kentucky and Indiana, our firm is uniquely positioned to serve companies focused on growth in the alcoholic beverage industry. We regularly advise clients on the complex issues facing alcoholic beverage manufacturers and assist in creating and maintaining working relationships with local, state and federal regulatory authorities. Our attorneys have a broad range of experience dealing with federal and state alcoholic beverage laws, as well as tax planning strategies and economic incentives available to manufacturers.
On a continuous basis, we assist clients in identifying and acquiring manufacturing facilities, obtaining required land use approvals, and negotiating and securing approval for state tax incentives, historic tax credits and industrial bonds. We have worked on 15 distilleries and related facilities. The firm’s regulatory compliance services include counsel ranging from advice on regulatory compliance, to securing state and federal operating permits and licenses. Our professionals also have broad experience advising alcoholic beverage manufacturers on corporate governance, distribution and franchising matters.
Representative matters include:
- Assisting leading bourbon producers in the acquisition and development of multiple distilleries in Louisville, Ky., with total project values in excess of $60 million.
- Negotiating agreements for a tequila distillery in Mexico.
- Securing approval of millions of dollars in Kentucky economic incentives for distilled spirits manufacturers.
- Obtaining the approvals for over $10 million in industrial revenue bonds for a leading bourbon producer.
- Providing instrumental leadership in the conception and implementation of Louisville’s Bourbon Row District.
- Negotiating the purchase of a bourbon distillery as a required divestiture from a multinational conglomerate.
- Assisting in the acquisition of a historic property for a brandy distillery.
- Negotiating a workout and the sale of all assets of a non-operational distillery to a foreign buyer.
Corporate and Transactional Services
With offices located in the heart of bourbon country, Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP provides a full range of legal services to companies engaged in the manufacture, sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages. We advise clients on a wide variety of issues facing the industry, including handling the complex relationships among federal, state and local regulatory agencies. Our attorneys are also knowledgeable on federal and state tax planning strategies applicable to the beverage alcohol industry.
On a regular basis, we assist clients in drafting agreements with their suppliers, distributors, consultants and advisors to facilitate their daily business operations. We also provide advice and assistance relating to intellectual property, health care, environmental and other issues faced by companies operating in this industry.
Drawing upon the experience of our firm's litigation practice, our attorneys manage and coordinate litigation claims filed across the nation against clients in the industry. As a result, we have a deep knowledge of litigation issues facing the industry, and have developed substantial resources and creative strategies for responding to litigation claims. We also provide assistance in monitoring proposed legislation of interest to the industry.
Representative matters include:
- Assisting a foreign-owned alcoholic beverage company in the acquisition of a major brand from an international liquor producer.
- Assisting a major retailer in an acquisition of another chain out of state.
- Facilitating a joint venture with a distributor of Ready To Drink products on behalf of a regional distributor of alcoholic beverages.
- Assisting an online business with consumer sales and delivery regulations in various states.
- Assisting a large, international alcoholic beverage producer with the vast majority of its construction, permitting, environmental, property acquisition and sale, and regulatory matters.
- Assisting an international beverage distributor in connection with regular audits of its government-mandated environmental programs.
- Representing a number of clients in the distilled spirits industry in a range of cases, including product liability lawsuits, advertising and marketing claims.
- Representing the stadium authority regarding alcohol sales during the Super Bowl.
- Registration Now Open for the 2017 BGD Legislative Conference Featuring David Gergen, Senior Political Analyst for CNN and Governor Eric Holcomb09.29.2017
Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts
501 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 4020201.31.2014
- Beverage Alcohol Team Co-Leader
Corporate Services Department Co-Chair(502) 587-3594
- Beverage Alcohol Team Co-Leader(502) 587-3641
- Corporate Services Department Co-Chair(812) 771-4404