Natural Resources, Energy and Mineral Law
Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP’s natural resources, energy and mineral law attorneys advise coal, oil and gas, landholding, timber, and hard rock mining industry clients on a wide range of matters including mergers and acquisitions, commercial and real property transactions, environmental and regulatory compliance, and civil and administrative litigation. Our attorneys assist related businesses, financial institutions, public utilities and local governments with an ever-changing proliferation of environmental statutes and regulations.
Our attorneys serve publicly-traded national energy companies, regional producers, operators and mineral owners, and regional and national natural resource companies and investors. We regularly represent clients' mineral interests – especially in connection with asset and company acquisitions – throughout Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. With offices in the Illinois Basin and Central Appalachia we are positioned to serve our clients where they do business.
Our attorneys have more than 150 years of combined experience in coal, oil, natural gas, hard rock mining and forest products. Our natural resources experience includes:
Negotiation and documentation of transactions
- Complex financing arrangements
- Equity investments in natural resource companies
- Acquisitions and dispositions of natural resource assets
- Leasing of natural resource properties and related assets
- Assist in obtaining SMCRA or state equivalent permits
- Defending enforcement actions associated with SMCRA violations
- Defend multiple coal mining and land companies in lands unsuitable matters before regulatory agencies
- Assist clients in obtaining Section 401 water quality certifications, Section 404 permits, and NPDES permits
- Defend clients in NPDES and Section 404 enforcement actions
- Coal sales agreements
- Oil and gas leases
- Farm out agreements
- Participation and joint development agreements
- Joint ventures, shareholders’ and option agreements
- Equipment financing
- Mineral leases
- Serve as arbitrators in disputes involving the leasing, production and sale of coal and other natural resources
- Commercial litigation and arbitration involving a wide range of natural resource-related issues
Our attorneys are involved in national and state bar and trade associations and are regular speakers at seminars sponsored by bar associations, industry groups and other organizations, such as the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, Kentucky Coal Association and Kentucky Oil and Gas Association. We also contribute articles on new developments to industry publications.