Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP approaches each client’s property tax matter as unique and requiring a customized strategy to meet each client’s business goals.
Our emphasis upon providing first-rate client service remains central to our law practice to this day. We represent a wide variety of clients in connection with their property taxation needs, including utility companies, heavy industrial concerns, commercial developments, retail facilities, hotel and apartment complexes and numerous others. We handle both real property and business personal property (i.e., equipment) assessments.
Given the current state of the Midwest region’s property tax systems, the possibility of valuation and assessment errors (and resulting increased tax liability) can mean substantial sums are at issue in property tax cases, and our experience can provide you with significant opportunities for savings.
Some highlights of our property tax practice include:
- Experienced in the assessment of large energy sector properties, including coal-fired power plants, petroleum refineries and wind energy generation facilities
- Negotiation, claiming and securing tax abatement and other economic incentives
- Handling all aspects of the assessment of utility distributable property in Indiana, including in connection with valuation, review and challenging assessments through administrative and judicial review
- Achieving assessment reductions due to various types of obsolescence affecting taxpayers’ property
- Claiming both full and partial property tax exemptions
- Representing clients before numerous county property tax assessment boards of appeal, the Indiana Board of Tax Review, the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance, the Indiana Tax Court and the Indiana Supreme Court
BGD’s property tax attorneys have been involved with numerous important tax cases including:
- LaRue County Geriatric Center, Inc. c/o Signature Healthcare v. LaRue County Property Valuation Admin. et al., File No. K16-S-76 (Ky. Claims Comm’n) (pending) (property tax dispute involving not-for-profit nursing home)
- Kroger Limited Partnership I v. Scott County Property Valuation Admin., et al., File No. K16-S-07, Order No. K-25128 (Ky. Bd. Tax App. Jul. 12, 2016), on appeal, No. 16-CI-00435 (Ky. Cir. Ct. 2016) (pending) (property tax dispute involving big box grocery store)
- Allen County Assessor v. Verizon Data Services, Cause No. 49T10-1408-TA-00053, Indiana Tax Court (October 30, 2015)
- Washington County Township Assessor, Allen County Assessor, and Allen County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals v. Verizon Data Services, Cause No. 49T10-1102-TA-00013, Indiana Tax Court (October 30, 2015)
- Tube City IMS, LLC v. Lake County Assessor, Petition No. 45-001-10-1-7-00001, Indiana Board of Tax Review (June 28, 2012)
- Lake County Assessor v. Amoco Sulfur Recovery Corp., 930 N.E. 2d 1248 (Ind. Tax Ct. 2010)
- Verizon Data Services Inc. v. Washington Township Assessor, Petition No. 02-073-05-1-7-00118, Indiana Board of Tax Review (December 6, 2010)
- Andrew Orthodox Church, Inc. v. Thompson, No. 2007-SC-640-DG (Ky. May 18, 2009) (first impression case on a constitutional amendment exempting property of religious institutions)
- BP Products North America, Inc. and Amoco Sulfur Recovery Corp. v. North Township Assessor, Indiana Board of Tax Review (Aug. 19, 2009)
- Avon Real Estate LLC v. Hendricks County Property Tax Assessment Board of Appeals, Petition No. 32-022-07-2-8-00001, Indiana Board of Tax Review (January 6, 2009)
- Brenwick TND Communities, LLC v. Clay Township Assessor, Petition No. 29-003-03-1-5-0060, Indiana Board of Tax Review (May 15, 2006)